Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [RFC] versioned policy -- introduction
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 00:42:36 -0700

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:07:43AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <address@hidden> on Thu, 07 Sep 2006 09:06:15 +0200 (CEST),
> Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> said:
>
> richard> I still don't understand why keys would be stored by name.  In the
> richard> rest of the security community, keys are identified by a form of
> hash,
> richard> or a fingerprint if you will.  There is of course the usual risk that
> richard> you can get two keys with the same hash (fingerprint), but since a
> key
> richard> has certain properties and a structure that can't be altered without
> richard> invalidating it, the risk is minimal, so in essense, you can
> richard> practically say that there's a 1:1 mapping between keys and their
> richard> fingerprint.
>
> Oh, and I'm not saying that *users* should have to identify keys by
> key id, just the software itself.

User names are exactly the ones I'm talking about :-).

It's important that a community has a shared vocabulary for
referencing objects.  I'll suppress my impulse to go off on a long
digression about the relation between this goal and pet names systems,
SPKI, blah blah blah, but basically the point is that no-one is going
to use key hashes to see who committed that last change, and the group
has to agree on these names so they can talk to each other.

"...All of this suggests that if we wished to find a modern-day model
for British and American speech of the late eighteenth century, we could
probably do no better than Yosemite Sam."