Re: [Monotone-devel] pretty pretty pictures (for some value of pretty)

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] pretty pretty pictures (for some value of pretty)
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:48:58 -0600

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Even if the default is to stay on branch, surely this will not be the
> only mode?

Oh, certainly something like the current functionality would also be
good. The use case I have in mind is while working on a branch I often
would like to be able to get a log of the changes on the branch. If I've
propagated to the branch I often don't want to go back and follow the
mainline development. I'm sure at other times I would want to see this
as well so allowing both modes would be good.

> Also, even if it does stay on branch, you probably want to show some
> dangling revisions to let people know where they could drill down?

Yes, these would be a good thing to have.

> Those are the reasons, others may disagree -- I'm probably farther
> towards finding dates useless than most people.  In general, though,
> leaving things out is just as important as putting them in.

I'm probably erring on the side of including too much, no real strong
feeling that dates must be there. Perhaps, going back to Graydon's ideas
from long ago, formatting this stuff through a lua hook would be a good
way to go.

> Why?  Does log have too-standardized a meaning?  Is this not what
> you'd want be default?  Umm... I don't know if it should be log,
> either, but why do you say that?

Not sure really... all the little trace lines made me think of traces I
guess. I haven't seen any other log command do anything like this so it
seems mildly out of place. I also find reading things with variable
indentation somewhat awkward. Again, no really strong feeling. This
output style seems really nice and I'd probably get to the point of
always wanting it once my eyes got used to looking at it.

Cheers,
Derek