[Monotone-devel] Build monotone with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

From: Jesper Ribbe
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Build monotone with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:21:35 +0200

Hello,

I've tried to build monotone with MVS-2005 to track the filesystem conversion problems I've had.
I followed the instructions on the wiki and have succesfully built boost.

However I've got some problems when building monotone itself with the supplied visualc/monotone.sln:

1.
There seem to be some files missing in the solution which gave me link errors:
win32\cputime.cc
graph.cc
roster_delta.cc
sha1.cc
work_migration.cc
After adding these files to the monotone project, I could successfully build it.

2.
The sub-project "tester" didn't build. It gave quite a few errors, and I've not tried to correct them. Instead I skipped the project as I wanted a working mtn.exe first.

3.
The zlib1.dll and libiconv2.dll mentioned in the wiki are linked to MSVCRT.DLL which indicate that they are built with Visual C++ 6.0. using dlls built with VC6 within MVS-2005 is a well known problem in the windows world. This is probably the cause of the memory access violation inside strlen() which is what I get when running the produced mtn.exe.

These problems make me believe that MVS-2005 is not the recommended build environment on Windows. Would it be interesting if I tried to solve these problems and produce a patch? Or is mingw the only realistic option?

/Jesper