Re: [Monotone-devel] PerformanceWork page

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] PerformanceWork page
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:11:00 -0700

On 10/4/06, Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> wrote:
This page needs some review and updating on the basis of changes in
0.30.  I've made a few quick notes, but I'm concentrating my time
elsewhere at the moment, can someone else please help here?

In particular, I think the 'update with long history' issue is at
least drastically improved, if not entirely gone.  It certainly seems
usable to me with the netbsd history, could an OE developer (Koen?)
comment and perhaps decide if that section can now be removed
entirely?

Hmmm, no, this still seems to take a long time to me. The update now
quickly figures out the branch (well, outputs), and selects (outputs)
the update target, but the update still takes a while to seem to do
anything else. It definately takes longer on our .dev branch than on
our .oz354x branch (.dev has many more revisions). Perhaps it's just
me being impatient (I don't think so, I don't particularly mind the
wait, I'm just making observations) and not realizing the amount of
work that goes into figuring out how and what to update.

Perhaps the update slowness depends on number of revisions between the
workspace and the selected target.... (although I would think that the
time for this would mostly come when selecting an update target) and
perhaps the # of files in the workspace is causing part of the
slowness of update...

What about restricted log and/or annotate?  At least a status update
and or a reference to heights would be good.

Are there any problems we should add?
See also: FeatureFast

--
Dan.