Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I merge 2 unrelated branches into 1 ?

From: Dmitry Kakurin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: How do I merge 2 unrelated branches into 1 ?
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 15:09:22 -0700

On 10/6/06, Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now, I expect conflicts to be presented to the user for conflict
> resolution. And I'd like to be able to perform baseless (2-way) merge
> in this case. I would even expect this merge to happen automatically
> (once I initiate it) since there are no file name conflicts (only dir
> names).

Understood.  Amongst other reasons, there are UI issues of how to
present and interact with the user through such a merge.  Along with a
class of similar non-content conflicts (such as on attrs) the current
way to resolve these is to commit changes on one side of the other
before retrying the merge.

I think merging thru local directory will address many issues like this.
So 'mtn propagate' does not touch the database and only affects local
workplace. Then all kinds of manipulations on workplace could be done,
then I can do a build and run tests to make sure the merge is good,
and only then I would commit the change to the database.

But there are also other real issues here; even though no filenames
conflict, just merging the directories automatically may really not be
the right thing for some directories.

That's true, I would expect a prompt like:
Directory 'CS' exists in both branches, would you like to:
1. Rename theirs
2. Rename yours
3. Merge
And if during merge some files conflict I would expect exactly the same choices.

- Dmitry

P.S. You've probably noticed that I have a heavy (~10 years) Perforce
background :-) . I love it, but it does not fit distributed
development model.