Re: [Monotone-devel] quick&dirty CVS export

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] quick&dirty CVS export
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 16:49:04 -0700

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 08:21:45AM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> This touches closely on one of the NetBSD requirements we've been
> discussing too, which I had been looking at mostly as a need for
> partial pull: how to help end users following (say) a release branch
> update quickly, without needing to keep all of history around.  A
> lightweight CVS export (that didn't need any further import) would
> address this need to, and I think that's mostly what FreeBSD are after
> here.

There isn't any rule that says a netsync server shall only perform
merkle synchronization.  It wouldn't be that hard to, say, have a mode
where we spit out a requested tree as a tarball, or just the changes
between two given trees.  That's all you need for _really_ stupid
partial pull, that only supports checkout , update with no local
changes.

"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."