Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: Nuno Lucas
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:33:33 +0000

If we use an internal line ending standard, we should consider the
possibility of using the standard newline character NEL, "Next Line",
0x85, unicode U+0085.

You are forgetting I can (and actually I am) versioning C files with
text comments using some code page other than ASCII (in my case
IBM-860, because it's a port from a MS-DOS program, and the original
programmer was Portuguese).

So, I have lot's of comments with '\x85'. If your idea goes ahead,
suddenly the project will become corrupt, because C++ style comments
suddenly wrap to the next line.

Are we currently storing files as unicode or UTF-8?  (I think only admin
information such as file names)  Should we store text files as
UTF-8?

Don't mix character encoding problems with the end-of-line issue. They
are very different beasts.

For example, I can have a directory with many different translations
of a document (in text, off course), each one with it's own encoding.
While I would be happy if checkout handles line endings automatically
for me, I would  be very surprised if it decides to handle the text
encoding.

My current project uses ISO-8859-15 (because it's an embedded device),
but I develop in a UTF-8 environment (a standard desktop linux
distro), so all text on the source must be ISO-8859-15, not UTF-8.

In my opinion, should be up to the user to know how to handle the text
encoding, not monotone.

I mostly agree with the rest of your points, though.

Best regards,
~Nuno Lucas