Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:09:17 -0500

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 09:33:33PM +0000, Nuno Lucas wrote:
> On 11/22/06, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> >If we use an internal line ending standard, we should consider the
> >possibility of using the standard newline character NEL, "Next Line",
> >0x85, unicode U+0085.
>
> You are forgetting I can (and actually I am) versioning C files with
> text comments using some code page other than ASCII (in my case
> IBM-860, because it's a port from a MS-DOS program, and the original
> programmer was Portuguese).

Does that mean that you have C code in ASCII with comments embedded in a
completely different characte set?

> So, I have lot's of comments with '\x85'. If your idea goes ahead,
> suddenly the project will become corrupt, because C++ style comments
> suddenly wrap to the next line.

Just curious -- is IBM 860 some variety of EBCDIC?  And is the file
record-structured so that all 256 character codes are available (in
principle) for text other than newlines?  So that as far as character
coding is concerner, end-of-line is handled by a form of out-of-oband
signalling?

> >Are we currently storing files as unicode or UTF-8?  (I think only admin
> >information such as file names)  Should we store text files as
> >UTF-8?
>
> Don't mix character encoding problems with the end-of-line issue. They
> are very different beasts.

I think that end-if-line coding is one of the simplest character-coding
issues.

> For example, I can have a directory with many different translations
> of a document (in text, off course), each one with it's own encoding.
> While I would be happy if checkout handles line endings automatically
> for me, I would  be very surprised if it decides to handle the text
> encoding.

Do we have a situation in which each file has its own encoding?  Or one
in which different parts of a file have different encodings?