Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Using monotone in a team

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Re: Using monotone in a team
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:53:50 +1100

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:03:44AM -0000, Boris wrote:
> And I still wonder how approvals fit into the big picture. What I understand
> so far is that 'mtn approve' adds a branch="<branchname>" certificate to a
> revision. But how and where is it used?

See the "branch" section in the UsingCerts page.

As a simple example, if I want to "update" a workspace I need to pick
a revision to update to.  Unless I specify something else explicitly
on the command line, monotone tries to find a "head" of the current
branch.  This is a revision:

 - which is a descendant of my current revisions
 - which has a branch cert the same as I checked out (_MTN/options)
 - where that branch cert is evaluated as trusted
 - where the other certs (ie, testresult) are also acceptable
 - where there's no other revision descended from this one that also
   meets the criteria

Note that this definition means there can be gaps in the branch, and
in the trust, both between my current base and the head it picked, and
later revisions after that picked revision (which might be on another
branch, or not (yet?) trusted).

If this winds up with a single revision, update updates to it - if
there are multiple such heads it prompts you to pick one or merge them
to a new single head first.

This is, or should be, covered in the manual, but extra things to link
together the concepts in the places where the reader needs them help.
If you want, feel free to work the above text into the wiki.

--
Dan.