Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: listing unknown directories
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:16:48 -0800

Nathaniel Smith writes:
 > [ others want relative paths, but it could be messy ]
 >
 > Also, to just remind everyone who hasn't been lurking for the last n
 > years, the other traditional argument for mtn commands being
 > unrestricted by default is that in this model both common use cases
 > are very natural:
 >    current dir: mtn commit .
 >   unrestricted: mtn commit
 > but in the other model, one is not natural at all:
 >    current dir: mtn commit
 >   unrestricted: mtn commit ../../.. # or was that ../../../..? ../..?

So I've just been lurking for a while since I've had no time to work
on monotone, but could you use this by analogy for the ls commands?

Right now on the branched 0.28 I'm using, I get:

1013: pwd
/home/anderse/projects/DataSeries/src/raw-collection/network-driverdump

1015: mtn ls unknown
acinclude.m4
aclocal.m4
doc/dataseries-2006-10-12.pdf
src/raw-collection/network-driverdump/prepare-disks.pl

1014: mtn ls unknown .
src/raw-collection/network-driverdump/prepare-disks.pl

1019: mtn ls unknown ../../../doc
doc/dataseries-2006-10-12.pdf

which shows that monotone is applying a restriction when you give it a
path.  What if it also took that as a signal that you wanted relative
paths. So that these commands would have given:

1014: mtn ls unknown .
./prepare-disks.pl

1019: mtn ls unknown ../../../doc
../../../doc/dataseries-2006-10-12.pdf

mtn status seems to do the same thing, apply a restriction but use
root absolute paths.
        -Eric