[Monotone-devel] automate packet_for_*

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] automate packet_for_*
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:11:37 +0100

Hi all!

I was looking over the functionality automate currently implements and
searched for stuff which could be useful in guitone, but isn't yet
implemented. (I know there are lots of things in the pipe, even started
by myself like automate-netsync or revision_diff, but I currently do not
feel like hacking on monotone's sources.)

So in the end I stumbled across the packet_for_* methods, which return
file, revision and cert deltas. Now I wonder two things:

How could one of these information be any useful without the other?
Meaning, if I just import the revision data, but omit the file deltas
and certs, wouldn't this just mean that I imported an incomplete revision?

And secondly, is there a possible use case to create this kind of dumps
(using get_manifest_of for file ids to retrieve packet_for_fdata, aso.)
which could then serve as replacements for normal "patches" send over email?

Anyways, I'm just curious who uses these commands and what their
possible use case is after all =)

Thanks,
Thomas.

--