[Monotone-devel] Re: MTN Summit preparation

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: MTN Summit preparation
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:50:46 +0100

Justin Patrin wrote:
> I'm looking forward to the MTN Summit quite a bit but am wondering a few
> things.
>
> First, am I the only non-MTN-dev who is going to the Summit? I'm a
> user via OpenEmbedded but have not yet contributed to the MTN source.

Nope, there's (at least) me, that only contributed the Italian
translation and a couple of translation-related string changes so far,
and my friend Gabriele, which has done nothing yet.

> Second, what should a relative newbie to the MTN source do to prepare
> for the summit? I'm well versed in programming in various languages
> and have previous experience in C++. What parts of the code or threads
> in the archive would be good to review before jumping in?

I'm interested in that answer too, but I guess there's no clean reply
except "just take a quickie-task and dive in the code"..?
This is the impression I had from previous messages and/or the wiki =)
Of course being there all together will be *the* best way, but I too
would like to "prepare" a bit more, not to feel unprepared 0=)

> Third, what should I do to prepare my machine(s) for the summit? I
> have a Windows laptop (yeah, I know, but I have little choice) which I
> can develop and build on (in cygwin at least), a handheld Linux
> machine (arm, Sharp Zaurus) that I can compile and test on (slowly),
> and a Linux box at home that I primarily use monotone from and can
> build, test, and cross-compile for my Zaurus on (over the net, I can't
> easily really bring it with...).

Quite the same here =)
I've got a Cygwin+FreeBSD dual-partition laptop, a Cygwin laptop for
Gabriele, he got a Zaurus too, plus a few FreeBSD hosts sitting around
and reachable thru SSH.

The similarity of our situations is quite amusing =)