[Monotone-devel] automate select issue over stdio

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] automate select issue over stdio
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:03:52 +0100

Hi all!

$ cat | mtn automate stdio
l6:select5:k:blae
mtn: warning: unknown selector type: k
0:0:l:0:select5:d:fooe
2:2:l:53:misuse: selector 'foo' is not a valid date

My question here: Should warnings in selectors.cc be actually errors so
they can be properly catched up over stdio? From a user's perspective I
see no real difference between both types of messages.

Then I thought "maybe if the warning is issued, the invalid selector is
just skipped, e.g. if multiple selectors are combined", so I tried

l6:select11:k:bla/d:20*e
mtn: warning: unknown selector type: k
0:2:l:53:misuse: selector '20*' is not a valid date

and yes, apparently the parsing goes further. Now I tried something
which should bring up a revision:

l6:select11:k:bla/i:341e
mtn: warning: unknown selector type: k
0:0:l:0:

Huh? But the revision exists, the "i" selector alone brings it up:

l6:select5:i:341e
1:0:l:41:341326bf4f07f6438d478f7db9b6a8dccb448e40

(I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but as I acknowledged that
I noticed that it is actually irrelevant to continue parsing anything if
an unknown selector has been catched previously.)

So in the end I see no reason why warnings should not just be handled as
errors there as well...

Opinions?

Thomas.

--