[Monotone-devel] Monotone CVS sync

From: William Uther
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Monotone CVS sync
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:49:24 +1100

Hi all,

I'm joining a collaborative project at work. They have been using CVS (simple linear history). Because this is a cross-site collaboration with firewalls, I was hoping to switch to a distributed RCS, but the people we're collaborating with are reluctant to change (which is fair enough - we're joining them and I'd be suspicious if a new person brought in wanted to change tools on me). Soooo, I was thinking of ways to introduce Monotone for us remote users and sync it up with the main CVS repository.

There seem to be two options:

i) the net.venge.monotone.cvssync branch. (Or the net.venge.monotone.cvssync.refactor branch?)

What state is this in? I couldn't find much documentation for it, and what I could find was fairly old. I was planning to have a quick play, but at the moment I'm a little wary. (the cvssync branch is a couple of months old, but the refactor branch seems to be active. Is the cvssync branch stable or abandoned?)

  ii) Tailor http://www.darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

This looks a little ugly too. It is a script with a shared working copy that allows revisions to be moved back and forth. That means you can get conflicts. Icky. There is a note in the readme that it linearises multiple heads somehow, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Has anyone used either option?  Any recommendations?

There is actually a third option:

iii) Switch the cvs respository to svn. I might be able to push that through. I'd then need to sync with svn. I could use Tailor for that. Or, is there a nice cvs-sync way for montone to work with svn?

Thanks for any pointers,

Will        :-}