Re: [Monotone-devel] Mac OS X - resource fork empty after checkout

From: Patrick Georgi
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Mac OS X - resource fork empty after checkout
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 08:34:14 +0100

Brian May schrieb:
- Microsoft has introduced something similar in Windows (Vista?) (for
compatibility with Mac OS?).
NTFS supports data streams for years and years already.
Windows 2000 at least already makes use of them for various purposes, too (and I think NT4 already had them. Simple access method, too: filename.txt:streamname. You can even "hide" programs there: given an executable named readme.txt:foobar, do 'start readme.txt:foobar', but explorer and the likes will only show readme.txt and its main content)
- As such Samba needs to be able to support it.
Doesn't need to - windows doesn't support streams on FAT, so samba can just pretend to not have streams either.
- Apple now consider resource forks obsolete as of Max OS X for
compatibility with Unix.
Obsolete, but supported.
I don't know which of these are true or not, but I have heard it has
resulted in heated discussions on the Linux kernel mailing list if
Linux should support it or not in order to allow Samba to support it.

What Linux does have instead (and right now) are extended attributes -
not quite the same thing, but similar. Extended attributes are
designed for small pieces of information, but resource forks can
potentially be very large.
Given the right filesystem, EAs can be arbitrarily sized - it's more of a limitation of the filesystem than the API. As for APIs: the POSIX version of EA support never left draft state as far as I know (similar to ACLs), and might or might not be available on unixoid systems and to varying degrees.

A fork is just a separate stream in the file - a bit like if the file
was really a directory and the forks are files in that directory.
.. without a standard way to query that directory.

patrick georgi