[Monotone-devel] FYI: why PostgreSQL still uses CVS

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: [Monotone-devel] FYI: why PostgreSQL still uses CVS
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:20:54 +0100

Hi,

every once in a while, some brave soul dares to bring up the VCS debate on the PostgreSQL mailing list. And it has happened again [1] and surprisingly brought up quite a constructive discussion.

Down the thread, there are some arguments, why they're still using CVS. It mainly boils down to:

 - having code in place for CVS (buildfarm)
 - ability to copy the whole repository (cvsup)
 - being used to it (and the workarounds for the major annoyances)

There are other voices, like Gavin Shery [2], who have already tried one or more distributed VCS (and I know there are other major contributors, too, who are attracted by monotone).

And generally, I feel they could be convinced to move to monotone, as soon as they win more than they loose. They surely want to conserve the repository history (yes, I'm at it..), they also want to be able to checkout quickly (i.e. partial pull and/or significant netsync speedup).

As soon as those two issues are solved, I'll try again to convince them and help them migrate. Before that, it's quite hopeless, I fear.

Regards

Markus

[1]: The head of the thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-02/msg01233.php