Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Freeze on Windows using ssh transport

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Freeze on Windows using ssh transport
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:55:10 +1100

On 23/02/2007, at 9:06 PM, Lapo Luchini wrote:

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
A third possibility is that there are issues with the
talk-to-child-process code on windows, which is utterly nasty.  It
took ages and ages to get that code working at all, it's still
very difficult to understand, and there are still intermittent
failures in the test suite that no-one has managed to reliably
reproduce, where it just blocks forever waiting on the child
process... (our best guess so far is that it might have something to
do with windows having a broken buffering model for named pipes).

There is a identical (as far as this description goes) bug with
rsync-over-ssh on Cygwin, that most people blame on Cygwin's spawning
code: that's why I was asking which SSH was in use exactly, it would be partly a relief to know that it is Windows's fault, and not Cygwin's ;-)

The users in question don't know where they got the ssh, but they have Cygwin installed, so I assume it is that version. It doesn't matter if they run mtn from a cygwin shell or a cmd.exe shell, both seem to freeze. The Monotone binary is the one from the web site.

Be well,

Will         :-}