[Monotone-devel] Splitting a file and preserving history

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Splitting a file and preserving history
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 13:40:00 -0800

All,
        Yesterday, while working on project, I wanted to split a file
into two separate files.  I was hoping to preserve the history on one
of the split out files so that things like annotate would tell you
where various bits came from.  Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a
way to do this, and looking at the monotone history, when the same
operation occurred (commands.cc -> cmd_*.cc) the new files were just
added, and the old file had all the bits removed, losing easy access
to the history information.
        So I have two questions:

   1) have I missed the feature somewhere?

   2) does such a thing make sense in the current monotone structure?
      It would be similar to mtn rename, but instead would be a copy.
      If it makes sense, and seems valuable to others, can anyone give
      me a pointer to where I would go to add this feature?

        -Eric