Re: [Monotone-devel] rename target conflict - what to do now?

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] rename target conflict - what to do now?
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:32:32 +1100

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:59:32PM +0200, Boris wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> can someone tell me what I should do when monotone displays these error
> messages (I'm trying to merge two heads)?
>
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1544, 1522, both want parent
> 1130, name DeleteCells5
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1546, 1534, both want parent
> 1130, name DeleteColumn2
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1547, 1535, both want parent
> 1130, name DeleteRow2
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1549, 1523, both want parent
> 1130, name InsertCells8
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1550, 1528, both want parent
> 1130, name InsertColumn2
> mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 1551, 1529, both want parent
> 1130, name InsertRow2
> mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
> mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts
>
> I'm told to resolve non-content conflicts. But what conflicts is monotone
> talking about?

Two files (the nodes listed) both want the same name in a parent
directory - for a number of different names in the same dir.

For clashes where two people have renamed two different files to the
same destination name, you will get a conflict for which should reside
at that filename in the merged result.  In this case, since you have
several files, it looks like perhaps two people have both added new
files with the same names (and maybe even similar content), but each
add is treated as a unique new file (node).

The messages aren't very helpful. Sorry about that.

> And what I'm supposed to do actually?

You need to commit changes to one or other side to avoid the conflict,
and re-try the merge.  Typically, this means renaming the files again
on one side.  If it's the case that the same files have been added
twice, you could also just drop them from one side and let them come
in from the other side in the merge.

> What does 1544 and the other numbers mean?

Those are internal (local to your db) node id's.  This is one of the
few cases where you'll see them, and probably you shouldn't, but
there's not much else we can display at this point to help track down
what's happened in cases where lots of renames have happened at once.

--
Dan.