Re: [Monotone-devel] Duplicate keys

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Duplicate keys
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:57:35 +1100

On 07/03/2007, at 3:04 PM, William Uther wrote:

 A developer here was working at a remote site.  He took a copy of
the db but not a copy of his key.  He generated himself a new key
(using the same key id as his normal key), and committed using it.  He
got some error (now lost in the mists of time).  Another dev with a
laptop got a copy of the changes using diff/patch and committed them
using his correct key.

 Unfortunately, the db with the bad rev was sync'd into the cloud of
db's and now everyone is getting this message:

mtn: warning: ignoring bad signature by
'address@hidden' on
'address@hidden:YXUuY29tLm5pY3RhLmRn Yw==]'

Actually, I guess another option would be to specifically update to that rev and then commit a correctly signed child rev. That would mean that that rev would no longer be a leaf and mtn might stop complaining (right?).

Pro:

It would mean that we don't have to kill the rev everywhere in the cloud (which can be tricky - those dbs multiply like rabbits).

Cons:

It would have the problem that the rev had already been re-committed somewhere else and so we'd get conflicts (not too hard to resolve them though).

Similar to the re-sign everything concept, but easier to do if you're not a mtn guru.

On a related note, I don't really understand why mtn accepts badly signed revs/certs into the db at all. Shouldn't it warn and drop the certs/revs? There is already lots of checking in mtn, I'm surprised this isn't caught. I can imagine how you could get sets of dbs in a cloud that disagree about who the real Spartacus is, but would have thought you'd get the error on syncing, not every operation that touches a leaf afterwards.

Be well,

Will         :-}