[Monotone-devel] Re: Projection of files

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Projection of files
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 11:36:32 +0100

Matthew Sackman <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> For example, how do you find revisions which modified a particular
> file?

"mtn log <path>"

> It'd be nice if there was a suitable selector so you could go mtn
> automate select f:path/to/the/file.

Maybe, though "/" is also used to separate selectors, so you might end
up needing "f:path\/to\/the\/file", which would be less attractive.

> Similarly, finding the last author of a particular file is another
> useful thing to do -- it pretty much boils down to the same problem
> though.
>
> Having found the wiki page on selectors
> (http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/MagicSelectors), this doesn't seem to
> be covered there. Is this something that *will never be done*
> because it's fundamentally opposed to the monotone way, or has no
> one needed this so far?

The latter, I think.  The other things on that page seem more useful
(IMHO)---having modifiers to get to parents, etc., seems likely to be
more useful (git has such things, after all).

A modified form of "mtn automate select" which also took restrictions
might be the way to go?

[...]