Re: [Monotone-devel] code review in practice

From: Evan Martin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] code review in practice
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:14:51 -0700

On 4/10/07, Caio Marcelo <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Evan and people,

Recently (after re-reading your blog post about this subject) I wrote

It's always a little frustrating when the only Google results I can
find on a subject (in the case, the query [monotone code review] is
something I've written myself)...

http://www.students.ic.unicamp.br/~ra015599/PLAN

maybe you'll find some of these helpful. After writing this I thought
maybe the web interface could be an optional layer over the "offline
compatible" script around Monotone. Comments on that PLAN are very
welcome.

Regarding codereview branch names: rather than being careful about
naming different branches (and without using a sequence number), it's
more in the monotone style to just name the branch after a sha-1.  For
example, you could take the revision id itself as the branch name.

I agree that a web interface is a somewhat separate task from the
problem of reviewing.  For example, without integrating into an email
interface or web stuff at all, a basic script that dumps to my console
"your commit is branch name foo.codereview.a78fd" would be enough for
me to send that info to a mailing list.  Then the approver could run
something like "mtn-codereview i-approve foo.codereview.a78fd" once
they like it.  (I guess it's maybe a bit more complicated than that
because you really want a code reviewer to approve a *revision*, not a
branch, as the latter could have more changes come along after the
reviewer looked at it...)

On 4/10/07, Evan Martin <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2) Submitters make a (named) branch for each new change, branch only
> merged into the main branch after it's been ok'd.
> Analysis: a new branch name for every change seems a little scary.

I choose this path, but with some "separate" namespace for the new
changes and an automatic way to assign this names. After a few commits
(and reviews), reviewer is happy and just mtn approve the head of the
'review branch' into the main branch. AFAIK, if you just use main
branch you will get access ONLY to revisions approved by someone.

Seeing your writeup of it makes me think using separate names isn't so
bad after all.

(PS: thanks for the nice tech blog -- lots of good posts! evan++)

Thanks!  LJ doesn't provide any reader stats so I'm always surprised
to learn people read it.  :)