[Monotone-devel] Mozilla goes mercurial

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Mozilla goes mercurial
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:02:21 +0100

I note that they say:

    Monotone was ruled out relatively early as well, due to the
    similar [to git] Win32 performance issues and not wanting to split
    developer resources with Monotone fix- and feature-requests.

Does anyone know what the win32 performance issues were?

A colleague says he's used monotone on our software (the main branch
of which is 250M, so approximately the same as Mozilla, I think) and
found the performance OK.  Is he being too generous (or perhaps
confusing network-related differences since we otherwise use CVS and
he works from home presumably over an ADSL or cable connection (so
obviously much slower than LAN)).

Is mercurial that much better on win32?

Or was the testing happening at an unfortunate time when performance
was atypically poor for some reason?  (Monotone performance has
generally got significantly better over time, but there've been
periods where it's got worse.)

I'm also not sure what the second part of the sentence means: were
there significant things missing from monotone that they wanted (that
are presumably present (or more likely to become so) in mercurial)?