Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Window

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Setting up syncs & read/write permissions on Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 22:40:52 +0200

Ken MacDonald schrieb:
> Thank you, Thomas!
> Most helpful; I'm now able to basically sync the two db's on my
> computer to each other; haven't tried any complex sync exclude
> patterns or anything, but this was a huge help.

Cool!

> It would be nice if some of the documentation had some of this info
> for Windows, either as a separate section, or interspersed with the
> u*x style documentation where the two differ drastically. Most of it
> is pretty self-explanatory, so probably only a few spots would need
> some help.

Well, the thing is that Windows users in general have no real knowledge
what a "home directory" is and where it is located at all. Microsoft
tries to hide such "malicious overinformation" more and more with every
reincarnation of Windows (ever wondered why your desktop is the root
node in the Windows explorer, obviously its physically located somewhere
in your $HOMEDIR?). While I surely think this is an issue for Windows
users, I don't think its monotone's responsibility to clarify how they
can/should use their chosen operating system and where the standard
paths are located. Call me biased, but looking back at my Windows time
just makes me shuddering.

> On my system, it appeared to be looking for:
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.<WORKGROUPNAME>\Application
> Data\monotone\
>
> which is where it dumped my 'keys' directory on initial setup.
>
> as my computer is part of a "Windows Workgroup" it seems. Perhaps if
> it was not a member, C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application
> Data\monotone\ would work also/instead. Anyway, moving my read- and
> write- permissions into that directory allowed the sync to proceed.

I didn't dare to ask what this weird username meant... I'm not a Windows
expert, so I just thought it is a very weird username =)

http://monotone.ca/monotone.html#Other-Transports

>> Does address@hidden resolve to the machine (@-domain) or
>> are you trying something else here? In case its the latter, it won't
>> work =)
>
> Bingo. As it turns out, instead of address@hidden, I
> should've had the machine name, which turned out to be something
> COMPLETELY different, ala:
>
> desktop1.our-domain.net

Is there some `hostname` command available on Win32? I dunno...

> Also, I had messed up the branch-inclusion pattern - might be worth
> tossing a message if the pattern doesn't really match anything in the
> db you're syncing with?

I think we should implement this the other way around, and AFAIR this
has been discussed already: We should add support for auto-recovery to
monotone and a way to pull a list of available branches remotely from a
server. Having such information in place would be more useful than the
error message "your branch pattern does not match any available
branches" - yeah, what available branches?!

Thomas.

--
ICQ: 85945241 | SIP: 1-747-027-0392 | http://www.thomaskeller.biz