Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sharing subprojects between projects
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:35:17 -0400

Anthony Williams <address@hidden> writes:

> One thing that I do quite often is have a subproject shared between several
> other projects. In CVS I have
>
>     shared_project/
>         file1.cpp
>         file2.cpp
>     project1/
>         project1.cpp
>     project2/
>         project2.cpp
>
> I check out shared_project into a subdirectory of each project on disk, so on
> disk I have:
>
>     project1/
>         project1.cpp
>         shared_project/
>             file1.cpp
>             file2.cpp
>     project2/
>         project2.cpp
>         shared_project/
>             file1.cpp
>             file2.cpp
>
> With CVS this mostly works OK, since commits in the top level dir recurse
> down, and commit the shared project too. With monotone, if I try the same
> thing then it doesn't recurse into the shared project, and I have to commit
> separately, which is easy to forget.

I have the same problem. I use CVS, but I don't use your solution. I
have a notes file that lists all the directories that need to be
committed, and go thru them all periodically.

This sounds like a user interface issue; the problem is the user is
forgetting to do something, so the user interface tool should remind
them.

I don't know of one that does this particular job. I'm working on
improving Emacs DVC for use with monotone, perhaps this could be added
to that.

Currently the Emacs command (dvc-status "project1") shows the status
of project1 in an Emacs window.

Perhaps (dvc-status "project1" "shared_project") could show the status
of both projects in a single window. That would be a good interface;
I'll have to think about how easy it would be to implement.

--
-- Stephe