Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: ding dong, boost::filesystem is dead

From: Ulf Ochsenfahrt
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: ding dong, boost::filesystem is dead
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 23:34:45 +0200

Justin Patrin wrote:
IIRC there are 2 major reasons we're trying to remove the non-geader
stuff in boost.

1) It's a huge stumbling block for people installing monotone. Boost
tends to be a huge pain to build for many people on many platforms.
This seems to have gotten better recently but still tends to be the
most mentioned problem with getting monotone built.

2) Boost is large and takes quite a bit to compile and brings in some
*large* libraries for the few places we need it. Replacing it with our
own alternatives or slimmer, more ubiquitous, libraries will reduce
the memory footprint of monotone and make it easier to get it running
with smaller dependencies.

This is just my memory of what was said a while ago, Zack, anyone
else, feel free to correct me.

I'm currently using a statically compiled binary of monotone which weights in at 40 MB. I wanted to get the huge db fix on my laptop, and the easiest way was to do a static compile on my work machine and copy over the library.

-- Ulf