Re: [Monotone-devel] Random idea -- making ssh:// multi-user-friendly

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Random idea -- making ssh:// multi-user-friendly
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:45:28 +1000

On 18/08/2007, at 12:31 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

07:20 <njs> you know what we should do?  when a server starts up in
   stdio mode, it should first try to bind() to <db-name.mtn>.socket,
   and if it succeeds, start serving like a daemon on that socket
   while continuing to do the initial serve on stdio
07:20 <njs> but if the bind() fails, then it should instead connect()
   to that AF_UNIX socket, and just proxy its stdio to the resulting
   socket.
07:21 <njs> bam, multiple people can sync ssh:// to the same db at the
   same time, no muss no fuss.
07:21 <njs> and the daemon automatically runs only when needed.

Still have less security control than when running a real server
(users get some kind of raw write access to the database), and
probably have to tweak permissions on the db/db directory in just the
right way, but would be neat.

There also seems to be something weird about the use of unix sockets.
(I just merged that branch by the way.)

It seems that the server binds to a unix socket just fine, and I can access it with socat over ssh. However, if I try to connect to a local unix socket,
without using socat, then it doesn't work.

I didn't actually write any of the local socket stuff - I just connected up
what was already in Netxx.  No idea what's going on.

Be well,

Will         :-}