Re: [Monotone-devel] new branch expansion hook

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] new branch expansion hook
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 04:14:31 -0700

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 10:51:37PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> I've just pushed a new branch
> net.venge.monotone.experiment.branch-expansion which adds support for a
> lua expand_branch hook. There's some work left to do on this (docs and
> tests) but I'm curious whether people are interested in it or not first.
>
> There are also a few things that could be changed:
>
> 1. At the moment the hook takes a branch "pattern" (that is just a
> partial branch name to be expanded) and a set of existing branches
> (honoring the suspended certs) and returns a set of matching branches.
> Returning a set may seem a bit odd but it seemed like it would be better
> to report errors in monotone proper than from the hook. This allows for
> "no branches matched" and "multiple branches matched" conditions to be
> reported slightly better (IHMO). I'm not married to this interface so if
> anyone has better ideas or objections I'm happy to change it.

Agreed on the set part.

Re: suspend certs, does leaving out suspended branches mean that it is
impossible to name those branches, even explicitly?  Taking branches
out of the 'ls branches' clutter is one thing, making it impossible to
check them out by name at all seems problematic...

> 2. The "pattern" is not a glob at the moment because I expect that some
> people will want to put their own pet names into the hook (nvm -->
> net.venge.monotone, etc.) rather than just match against existing
> branches. Again, I'm happy to change this if there's some consensus that
> a glob would be better.

I don't understand.  Presumably it would be up to the hook whether it
interprets the pattern as a glob or not?

Damn the Solar System.  Bad light; planets too distant; pestered with
comets; feeble contrivance; could make a better one myself.
  -- Lord Jeffrey