Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Bug Message

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Bug Message
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 07:13:30 -0400

"Zack Weinberg" <address@hidden> writes:

> Tangentially, the chain of "foo error:" strings that get tacked on the
> beginning of the actual error message is getting kind of absurd here,
> doncha think? --
>
> mtn: Fataler Fehler: std::runtime_error: Netzwerk-Fehler: recv failure:
>
> (with precisely half of them translated, for additional comedy.)  I
> think we maybe ought not do things like this in intermediate layers
>
>   catch (Netxx::Exception & e)
>     {
>       throw oops((F("network error: %s") % e.what()).str());;
>     }
>
> instead we should catch the various library exceptions that will cause
> program termination in the outermost catch chain (in cpp_main.)

It's a trade-off between nice errors for the user and nice errors for
the developer.

The developer really wants a stack trace; this error message (with all
the prefixes) is a reasonable approximation, with the added benefit of
being portable across platforms.

For the developer, not translating the stack trace info would be
better; easier to find things in the sources.

The error dump for this report did not include the stack trace info;
perhaps it could? Then the error message itself could be simpler, and
translated.

--
-- Stephe