[Monotone-devel] Files Changing During Commit.

From: Anthony Edward Cooper
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Files Changing During Commit.
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:49:40 +0100

   Hi again,

Just recently had an odd one. A developer on our team got a `file .... modified during commit, aborting' message. On the second attempt he exited the editor, KWrite, touched the file and it still failed. However, upon the third attempt, where he needlessly added a line to the file, he succeeded. Unfortunately he did all this before speaking to me. When I went over there I recommitted the original file with no problems. This is under 64 bit RedHat AS4U2 over NFS. The only other application running was konsole.

I suspect this is some sort of NFS caching nasty and the inode timestamps are getting updated during the commit. I thought of suggesting doing a touch followed by a sync but NFS writes should not cache on the client side...

Have you come across this and what is the best way of dealing with it? By the way we are using mtn Version 0.35.

   Many thanks in advance.

   Tony Cooper.