Re: [Monotone-devel] database_class_cleanup.patch

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] database_class_cleanup.patch
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:35:10 +0100

Hi,

Tobias Hunger wrote:
Fix rcs_import.cc: I think we should extend the database public interface to provide the functionality required by rcs_import.

The other option I see is removing rcs_import altogether: It is marked as a debug functionality and as such shouldn't see widespread use. Tailor and other tools do a better job anyway:-)

Tailor is certainly not an appropriate replacement for cvs_import - not even in its current form. Tailor fails miserably on slightly corrupted repositories. As long as you only want to import the trunk of a CVS repository like PostgreSQL's, the current functionality is pretty good already.

If you absolutely want to get rid of it, please don't drop, but *rename* the thing to an attic or something. As I'm working on an improved variant, which I'm willing to contribute someday.

BTW: why exactly do you want to remove it? What cleanups are you talking about?

Regards

Markus