[Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mtn: error: sqlite error: database is locked
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:07:35 -0800 (PST)

So, um, wtf?  I've read http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/DatabaseLocking.
Is that still the status quo?  Really?  Verily and forsooth?

Is it really the expected situation that mtn ssh:// users sharing a server
will get random failures because someone else is connecting at the same time?

... that when a netsync server in daemon mode is running nothing else can
ever use that database again?

I take it then that a) noone runs an anonymous-only netsync server while
supporting ssh-authenticated access to the same server, and b) noone runs a
viewmtn server from the same database that a netsync server or
ssh-authenticated access uses, and c) no three people actually collaborate
by using ssh:// to the same place (when e.g. sysadmin paranoia or firewalls
prevent using a netsync server).

How do you run your viewmtn servers, then?

Also, is it really the plan that even purely read-only accesses
(e.g. viewmtn or trac) must be able to write the database file and its
containing directory?

I'm trying to package viewmtn for Fedora and in various other ways get
things working "out of the box" to at least the extent that they do with
e.g. git.  This sort of issue is making it a bit hard to try to convince
anyone that monotone is ready for prime time.  (Yeah, yeah, slow-moving
all-volunteer effort, no guarantees, blah, blah, I do know the drill.  But
really, less together than git? bzr?  I trust mtn ten times as well as I do
git, but I can't claim setting up public git/gitweb servers for
collaboration is difficult to arrange.)

Thanks,
Roland