Re: [Monotone-devel] need some hints on reducing the inventory status to

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] need some hints on reducing the inventory status to a single "most important" state for a ide
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:32:12 +0100

Ronny Pfannschmidt schrieb:
Hi,

currently im adding monotone 0.38 support in Pida (http://pida.co.uk).

Cool!

For the filemanager we got various file modes and i'd like to get some hints on maping the various multi-value states of the inventory to our modes.

We currently use the following modes:

normal: this file is just ok

This would map to state "known"

none: this file isn't know

This would map to the state "unknown"

ignored: this file is ignored

This to the state "ignored".

new: this file is added

This to the state "added".

modified: this file is modified or moved

This could map to the state(s) rename_source, rename_target and the changes types "content" and "attrs", so an OR of all these states would be sufficient.

error: there is an error processing this file (vcs data is not parsable)

No real equivalent here, you could handle the state "invalid" with this, which pops up f.e. if a node is recorded as file (but missing) and there exists an unknown directory with the same path (and vice versa). The resolution here is to rmdir the directory because you can't call anything on an item like this (i.e. revert will fail unless you remove the directory).

conflict: there is a merge conflict

There is no such state yet available in inventory since mtn has no concept of workspace conflicts yet.

removed: this file is removed in the metadata, but still exists in the workdir

This is reflected by the combined states "dropped" and "unknown".

missing: this file is removed in the workdir , but still exists in the metadata

This is the state "missing".

external: this file/directory is a reference to external repositories (only
relevant for svn atm)

Yeah, I see no equivalent here either...

empty: this file is empty (its used on some vc's, it might go away)

Cannot be mapped either, but even an empty file has a content hash and this has a fixed ID (da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709) - so you might just compare that ID with the one inventory gives you and set the "empty" flag likewise.

hidden: this is a hidden file (its used on some vc's, it might go away)

This should be "ignored", shouldn't it?

I hope you can help me figuring a correct mapping.

Also feel free to sugest semantic changes of our modes, if necessary.

I think this is plausible so far. I know some other vcs don't distinguish between tree / content / attribute changes, so the "modified" mode is a bit overloaded for monotone now.

Thomas.