Re: [Monotone-devel] switching machines

From: Howard Spindel
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] switching machines
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 02:17:57 -0800

At 03:15 PM 1/24/2008, Thomas Keller wrote:
Howard Spindel schrieb:
I'm in the process of switching from an old XP machine to a new Vista machine. (The hardware is an upgrade but the software is a downgrade. <smirk>).
How do I move my existing monotone key from the XP machine to Vista?

It should be sufficient if you copy c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\monotone\keys (spelled out of my brain, check the actual paths since I have no Windoze machine handy atm).

Thomas.

The basic thought was right, for which I thank you. However, there was a wrinkle because Vista's file structure is different. So, if there's a place to add a factoid to the collective knowledge, the right place for the monotone directory (at least the place that worked for me) is:

c:\users\howard\AppData\Roaming

There are at least two other directories under AppData which are the wrong ones to choose, so it's not automatically obvious where the key file goes.

Howard

P.S. I didn't run any real tests to make sure things were working other than "mtn list keys". I assume if I see my private key that way, then things are copacetic.