[Monotone-devel] --ticker count vs dot and smart terminals

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] --ticker count vs dot and smart terminals
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:04:05 -0700

I've recently noticed that emacs shell-mode (in emacs 22.1.1 at least) seems to handle --ticker=count style tickers properly and I'm thinking that we could/should remove "emacs" from the following in unix/terminal.cc (have_smart_terminal):

  if (term == "" || term == "emacs" || term == "dumb"
      || !isatty(2))
    return false;

This little snippet is responsible for choosing dot style tickers in the case where your terminal is not likely to support the nicer count style tickers.

I don't know how many people use emacs shell mode to run mtn push/pull/sync commands but for anyone who does, could you try with --ticker=count and see what it looks like.

Cheers,
Derek