[Monotone-devel] Re: [windows] locale problems

From: Lapo Luchini
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: [windows] locale problems
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:48:37 +0100

Thomas Keller wrote:
It's weird because for example, "(révision de base)" is output as
"(rÚvision de base)" where:
- é is ISO8859-1 0xE9 or U+00E9
- Ú is ISO8859-1 0xDA or U+00DA
I can't recall in which version this problem appeared.
Which package do you use? The native binary or the cygwin package? Maybe one of the packager(s) knows whats wrong here...

That's very VERY weird, because AFAIR 'é' is not encoded 0xDA in any charset...

And this makes me wonder: when i import non-ascii filenames, how are
they stored ? if i checkout on a linux box with an UTF-8 locale, will
the filenames be transcoded ?

monotone uses an internal normalized utf8 format for paths, however the conversions from/to the various external character sets is what most likely make problems (and throws out the logic error above), just because its not really there (tm) yet. So you're safe if everything uses utf8 around you - otherwise you're pretty much on your own for now.

BTW: cygwin doesn't support Unicode and by default doesn't define a charset in the env, I have to use CHARSET=CP1252 or something like that to "mtn add" files with accents.

    Lapo