Re: [Monotone-devel] improving show_conflicts

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] improving show_conflicts
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:59:15 -0500

Derek Scherger <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> If I ultimately want to run merge successfully, I want show_conflicts
>> to do exactly what merge would do.
>
> Note that merge will merge N heads in N-1 steps 2 heads at a time,
> without stopping.

Ah. I had not realized that.

> I'm not sure how helpful show conflicts output would be in cases
> where N > 2.

Hmm. Since the merges are done 2 heads at a time, the conflict
resolution is the same. So it should still be useful. But I will have
to construct a test.

Hmm. I'll have to see how merge does this. If it picks 2 heads, then
outputs conflicts for that merge, then stops, we won't get _all_
conflicts. But that will allow the first merge to succeed, and we can
keep iterating until all heads are merged.

>> But if I ultimately want to run update succesfully, I want
>> show_conflicts to do exactly what update would do.
>> How about 'show_conflicts --merge' and 'show_conflicts --update', in
>> addition to the current 'show_conflicts rev rev'?
>
> Alternatively, update --dry-run and merge --dry-run (or --pretend or
> --test or whatever)

Given the behavior of merge for N > 2, I think this makes much more
sense.

--
-- Stephe