[Monotone-devel] discrepancy between behaviour and tutorial.

From: hendrik
Subject: [Monotone-devel] discrepancy between behaviour and tutorial.
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 14:00:15 -0400

In the tutorial, Jim tells monotone to add these files to its record of
his workspace. He specifies one filename and one directory; monotone
recursively scans the directory and adds all its files.
     $ mtn add include/jb.h src
     mtn: adding include/jb.h to workspace manifest
     mtn: adding src/apple.c to workspace manifest
     mtn: adding src/banana.c to workspace manifest

But when I did this, the recursion appeared to be absent.  I added two
directories:

address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$ mtn add test src
mtn: adding src to workspace manifest
mtn: adding test to workspace manifest

Indeed, looking at _MTN/revision afterward showed me only directories:

address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$ cat _MTN/revision
format_version "1"

new_manifest [0000000000000000000000000000000000000002]

old_revision []

add_dir ""

add_dir "src"

add_dir "test"
address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$

Presumably the recursion feature is no longer in the system, or has new
notation.  THe tutorial should reflect this.

I'm reading the tutorial from
http://www.monotone.ca/monotone.html#Creating-a-Database

and version 0.40 of monotone:

address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$ mtn --version
monotone 0.40 (base revision: 5ccc279f9dea0444b47f03dd5291ecc985fcb7f6)
address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$

----

It isn't hard to figure out how add the nested files, though:

address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$ mtn add test/a*
mtn: adding test/a68.test to workspace manifest
mtn: adding test/aa.tests to workspace manifest
mtn: adding test/ab.tests to workspace manifest
address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$ mtn add src/*
mtn: adding src/a68h.alw to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/doc.fmt to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/grammar to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/osread.asm to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/parsegen.aw to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/readline.asm to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/tables.mlvrn to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/tables.parse to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/tables.smbl to workspace manifest
mtn: adding src/tables.strop to workspace manifest
address@hidden:~/dv/lang/a68h/workspace-1974$

So you see, there were more contents to add.

-- hendrik