Re: [Monotone-devel] Can Monotone not diff across file renames?

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Can Monotone not diff across file renames?
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 00:05:58 -0400

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 02:52:34PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> The confusion comes from the way names are specified for restrictions
> - in short, are you using the name of the file it has now, or the name
> it had in the revision you're asking for.

That is a good question! I had assumed it would resolve my name
relative to my current workspace state, but clearly that is not the
case. (?)

Perhaps I should review the manual. Hrm.

> I think in your specific example, it's made worse because you're
> using relative paths within a subdirectory of the workspace, where
> the actual rename was on a parent of that dir.

Yeah I figured that was part of it.

> We talked about a way to be explicit about this (a syntax for
> address@hidden) but it hasn't been implemented AFAIK.

How hard would it be to implement? That is just some surface syntax
that boils down to a content hash (or revision id? I don't really know
how Monotone's internal structures work) and then goes into the normal
logic chain of the existing commands, right?

-Jack