Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] WARNING: ~/.monotone/keys CONSIDERED HARMFUL
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:25:31 +0200

Daniel Carrera wrote:
Now, on "identification": I think the following might be a relevant example: Imagine an ID card that has a picture of you but no name. You and I might disagree on whether we would call this identification. But it might clear up confusion if I say that this is an example of what Schneier means by "no identification". In Schneier's lingo, this ID card may provide authentication but not identification. In my recent emails I have tried to follow Schneier's lingo.

A little more on this: If I have an ID card with no name or address on it, I am anonymous. The card might authorize me to do something, but you still don't know who I am. My anonymity is the reason why I agree with Schneier saying that this card does not provide identification even though it matches my face with an authorization.

Daniel.