Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Time for a release

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Time for a release
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 04:09:37 -0500

Peter Stirling <address@hidden> writes:

> I have an OS X machine (ppc) and Vista as well, what would be
> required to run a build bot?

There used to be a wiki page describing this, but it seems to be gone.

I captured that info in a document I use at work; see
http://gds.gsfc.nasa.gov/tools_install_windows.pdf section 17.2 for
building monotone on MinGW, 17.5 for installing the buildbot.

This is _not_ a simple task; there are lots of manual steps, and there
are probably new versions of some things now. And those instructions
are known to work on Windows XP; there may be differences for Vista.

For OS X, the general steps are the same, but the details will be
significantly different.

I suggest we create files in the monotone source tree documenting
this stuff. Perhaps monotone/INSTALL.buildbot_mingw,
INSTALL.buildbot_osx, etc?

I suggest you dedicate a machine to running the buildbot. Running the
monotone test suite can easily use 100% CPU and lots of disk accesses,
so sharing that machine with normal development work would be
problematic. Hmm; maybe if it's a multi-CPU with a fast disk, it would
be ok.

--
-- Stephe