Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number t

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync flag day justifies bumping version number to 1.0
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:52:52 -0400

Derek Scherger spake unto us the following wisdom:
> One discussion that we've had before centers around protocol version numbers
> verses specific features. Iirc SMTP's EHLO command may respond with a list
> of keywords indicating the various optional features that a particular
> implementation supports.
>
> Personally, I think I prefer this scheme over a simple version number check.
> It makes feature support explicit rather than implicit and up to the
> respective parties to infer based on what protocol versions they find.

This makes more sense when you have multiple interoperating
implementations based on different code bases or with differing
requirements ... do you anticipate that there will be multiple
implementations of netsync which need to negotiate individual
features?  If not, it's just extra complexity.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.