[Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import failure

From: Hendrik Boom
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import failure
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:27:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 19:45:25 +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> Then this set of programs looks like one good place to start.  Are they
>> each one-shot conversions, or can they update the target repository if
>> things are still being checked into the CVS repository?
>
> AFAIK cvs2svn is still a one-shot conversion tool. However, if you don't
> mess around with your CVS repository, subsequent imports should work as
> well.

The question here is whether the proposed cvs2mtn, on repeated use, would
produce monotone repositories that could be synced.  I suspect not.

> (I don't see how one could handle continuous imports in case the
> underlying CVS is changed manually anyway. And yes, this happens more
> frequently than you think).

There's free software, cvsup, that maintains a local copy of a remote CVS
repository.  It might have some ideas that could contribute to a
continuous update, but I don't know how it deals with manual mangling
either.

I suspect that getting any conversion is more important than getting an
ongoing continual update working.  But it's possible thinking about the
problem will generate some ideas.  I'll keep it in mind when I start
reading existing code.

-- hendrik