[Monotone-devel] [bug #17878] Usability: too easy to accidentally fork a

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Monotone-devel] [bug #17878] Usability: too easy to accidentally fork after merge or disapprove
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 14:24:58 +0000

Follow-up Comment #7, bug #17878 (project monotone):

please don't make 'disapprove', or any other db command, affect the current
workspace.

I often perform operations on the database from a workspace, just so I don't
have to specify --db or --branch. But that doesn't mean I want that workspace
changed.

This is one of the best features of monotone; separating repository
operations from workspace operations. Let's keep it that way!

Your workflow is not my workflow; mtn should let us each customize things to
support our own workflows nicely.

If your workflow does want some db commands to update the workspace, we need
an --update-workspace option to enable that.

And, in general, support for option overwriting via --[no-]*, so you can put
--update-workspace in the defaults, and override it on occasion.

Or the ability to write Lua wrappers to do the merge and update; that
requires 'automate merge' (we have 'automate update').

For the original issue of avoiding unwanted divergence, change your workflow
to always do 'mtn status; mtn heads' before 'commit'. Maybe 'status' could be
enhanced to show heads info. Better to implement 'automate commit', and write
a Lua wrapper to do the status display and user query before commit.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?17878>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/