[Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Visual Identity

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Monotone Visual Identity
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 23:17:19 +0200

Hi Sahib!

Am 09.05.10 22:05, schrieb Sahib Jhitta:
>> I have created a new logo for you if you would like to use it. I am not
>> expecting any payment for this, I'd like to help the Open-Source Community
>> to say thank you (and as I cannot code I decided to create this).
>
> And here is the logo!
>
> http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs50/o/2009/323/4/c/4c3757ec0c92810a4748c65385ecca1e.jpg
>
> Thanks again.

Thanks for your initial work here - this is very welcome! I fear though
that some more things have to be done to make a new visual identity for
monotone. I've seen your reel on the net and I think you could be the
right man for the job, if you're interested, of course ;)

The current mouse logo with its purple colors has been very long
standing as visual recognition for our small project and was even used
in related projects to lead their identification (see f.e.
guitone.thomaskeller.biz or tracmtn.1erlei.de). Obviously most of these
"related" works have been done by non-graphic artists, they should make
the need for a combinable, preferrable non-text logo part clear. This
gets even more important for symbol and icon design (guitone f.e.
installs its own set of icons on Mac OS X, Linux and Windows), where a
pure text logo would possibly be inadequate for proper recognition.

Don't get me wrong here, I love your idea how you form the word monotone
into the mouse shape, but I wish we could combine that somehow with the
current or maybe even improved mouse shape we currently have. (You can
get an SVG of the current logo if you like!)
See, what bugs me a bit with the current logo we have is that the mouse
itself looks cool and shiny, but the text underknees just looks plain
ugly and the surrounding box with the light background acts as a simple,
but poor visual bracket to make the two things work together somehow. If
you could solve this design dilemma, you'd be our man ;)

Also, on a related note, I started looking for a good claim for our
project. We've had the sentence "reliable, distributed version control"
(with the emphasis on the term "reliable") for a while on IRC and it
looked cool on our merchandise as well (see
http://www.cafepress.com/monotone_rcs), so maybe this could become an
optional part of the new logo design as well. Of course, if people
objecting this sentence and have a better one for me - then I'm open for
proposals. As a design student you Sahib should be able to support this
process as well... after all this is part of the branding work, right? ;)

So thanks again for your initiative, we'd really love to work together
with you further on this topic!

Thomas.