Re: [Monotone-devel] What key does sync use?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] What key does sync use?
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 06:58:48 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> The description of
>     get_netsync_read_permitted (branch, key_identity)
> says
>     Returns true if a peer authenticated as key key_identity should be
>     allowed to read from your database certs, revisions, manifests, and
>     files associated with branch; otherwise false.
> and there's similar language for write_permitted.
>
> Now, when I'm syncing with a server, presumably it's the
> server that vets keys provided by the client.  When I issue
> the
>     mtn sync
> command, where does the client obtain the key(s) it's sending
> to the server for approval?

from the keydir; normally ~/.monotone/keys, settable by --keydir option
on 'mtn checkout'

> And since sync is a two-way operation, where does the server get its
> key(s) to provide to the client?

The user has told the client to accept updates from the server; it is
the user who's authority needs to be verified. The user is responsible
for knowing the trustworthiness of the server. So it is the same key,
from the keydir.

There is also a trust model that can provide more fine-grained control.

--
-- Stephe