Re: [Monotone-devel] hello and thanx

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] hello and thanx
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:54:18 -0500

Nice to hear that monotone is so much faster than git and mercurial
for certain operations.

Hugo

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:31 PM, J Decker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Nice to see lots of bugs squashed :)
>
> I have to thank you for developing a sane product.   I have been
> coerced into using mercurial at work, and after coming from monotone,
> some of the things it makes me do are just insane.  Merge, for
> instance, must be done through a workspace, so in order to just merge
> two heads, If I had work in progress in the tree, I have to clone the
> repository to another directory, check out the source(ya that's the
> same step), and then do the merging;  A commit from a merge cannot be
> done with relative paths like 'I want to commit just this part of the
> tree', you have to commit the whole thing, so work in progress changes
> would get mixed up in the whole thing.  The revisions to merge are all
> in the repository, so why does it require a workspace?!  Git does the
> same thing in this respect.
>
> I dunno, this seems like such a small thing, but it pisses me off to
> no end that I have to do so much extra work just to make sure that
> sane merges happen.
>
> Rebasing to another branch in mercurial and git are both very slow.
>
> (coming from branch)
> mtn update -r h:branch1  (takes like 3 seconds, 6 if i count the time
> it scrolls text)
> hg update -r h:branch1  (takes like a minute)
>
> and there were more files changed in the mtn difference between
> branches than were changes in mercurial.
>
> git also gave me a huge hassle rebasing to another branch... I had
> minor edits in the files, and it had no idea what to do with that...
> and revert didn't work.. but that was a month ago, so the details of
> my anger elude me.
>
> Again, thanx, keep up the great work!
>
> Wish you guys get a gui soon!  what with tortoise hg, git, and svn out
> there (is there a tortoise bzr yet) ... should be easy enough to grab
> one of those and tweak it to fit monotone.
>
> Jim

Hugo

--

                    Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

              Neurospaces Project Architect
                http://www.neurospaces.org/

       Laboratory of Neuro- and Psychofysiology
              O&N I Herestraat 49 - bus 1021
                    3000 Leuven, Belgium

                  Research Imaging Center
   University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                    7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                 San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                    Phone: 210 567 8112
                      Fax: 210 567 8152