Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.visualc branch

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.visualc branch
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:01:38 +0100

Am 23.12.10 00:26, schrieb Timothy Brownawell:
> The net.venge.monotone.visualc branch builds and passes the tests on
> MinGW and *nix. With Visual Studio it passes the tests except for 3 i18n
> failures. Do we want to merge this now (and have 1.0 be buildable on
> VS2010) or wait for after the release?
>
> The changes are largely:
>   * I built against Botan 1.9.7, so there are changes to make that work
>     (Botan::Exception vs std::exception, the Botan version checks).
>   * A lot of class vs struct changes for forward declarations. If the
>     forward declaration doesn't match the definition, Visual Studio will
>     fail to link.
>     + Maybe we want to just make everything a class everywhere?
>   * There were some missing includes.
>   * process_sleep() now takes a float instead of an int; it calls usleep
>     (microseconds) on unix and Sleep (milliseconds) on Windows.
>   * cmd.cc needed some #define's for "manpage" (popen, isatty, etc).
>     Probably this indicates something ought to be factored out into
>     platform.hh and {unix,win32}/* , but that can be done separately.
>   * dump(rsa_pub_key) was defined twice.
>   * win32/tester-check-net.cc actually checks network stuff now
>

> The Visual Studio files are for version 10 (VS2010). I don't think they
> can work with earlier versions.

I have a couple of equally big changes sitting in my workspace which
move around lots of files and clean up the source tree largely. Both
changes, yours and mine, are out of scope for an immediate release,
_but_ if we do not hunt for a (very) late 2010 release for 1.0 anyways
(which I doubt because there is still too much unpolished even after the
recent documentation sprint), we could still merge them in and test them
a bit more for an "early 2011" release.

And before I forget it - many, many thanks for your work, once again!

Thomas.