Re: [Monotone-devel] Indefero code forge with monotone support released

From: Martin Dvorak
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Indefero code forge with monotone support released
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 19:15:45 +0100

Thomas Keller wrote:
Hi all!

The Indefero team [0] today released the first stable version of their
project and source management tool that comes with monotone support. We
have pushed the development a bit over the last couple of months because
we were in the need of a tool that eased the collaboration and provided
easy access to issues and code, and we're quite happy with it as you
might have seen already [1].

Hi,

thanks for your hard work on this. I've seen you're not just adding
monotone support but generally improving it in other areas as well.
Indefero looks really nice and it's very practical for (opensource)
projects with the multiple projects approach as it allows for better
workflow with contributors and "derived" projects. The 'issues' module
and other features are great plus too. It's also slightly better for
admins as it's written in PHP which every admin know and most likely
already has setuped.

Personally I'm using monotone since 2004 and it's my favorite DVCS for
it's design, compactness, one of the cleanest C++ code I've ever seen.
I like monotone so much that I consider myself a contributor, though
I've not contributed much in code, just few bits in the past. But
I would like to have monotone being more used and my strategy for this
is by using in my opensource projects. It's a very long-term process
generally, but hopefully at least one of these will reach critical mass.

I've also recently looked more on GIT and some other DVCSs and I must
say after reading about various features and workflows I'm little
horrified about dangerous usage (like rebase), weird branching and other
stuff. I like monotone even more since that :)

Particularly it seems they're generally stuck with the idea of having
every commit perfect, even when that requirement is not really needed in
DVCSs. And that desire drives various weird features and workflows. Also
I feel GIT is really a special case for Linux kernel development since
I've never met any other project that is developed in similar fashion.

If you want to try out Indefero with monotone support, grab the zip [2],
follow the generic instructions to set up the base system [3] and
finally read the instructions how to configure the monotone plugin [4].

We'd love to get some feedback from you!

I'll be setuping it within about one month so I will post my experience
with setuping it then.

bye,
Martin