Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of blue sky ideas?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status of blue sky ideas?
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:06:38 -0800

I wouldn't say that monotone is "done"; in addition to the things you
listed, I can think of quite a few other things that badly need doing,
such as

* speed improvements
* netsync bandwidth and latency improvements
* memory-use and disk-space-use improvements
* a sensible URL scheme
* a replacement for die-die-die merge
* a complete, directly-usable structural merge UI (*something* got
committed, but I got the impression it was geared to the needs of a
particular IDE and was not usable by humans directly)
* network interoperability with git and hg
* a replacement for the unmaintained, IPv6-incompatible,
confusing-error-message-generating netxx library

However, all the core developers - me included, sad to say - have
moved on to other projects, so there is no manpower to *do* any of
these things, and it's hard to attract new people because nearly
everyone is using git or hg these days.  If you had the time and the
motivation, you could pretty much take over development and I don't
think anyone would mind. :)

zw